Monday, August 31, 2009

10 Years Ago

On August 18, 1999 Trent Alexander Bauman was born. But nothing could have prepared us for this: After a beautiful pregnancy, I became toxic and Trent was delievered by emergecy C-section. He did not breathe, he could not cry and he was purple. Trent suffered from A-genesis of the Left-Hemi-Diaphragm. The left side of his diaphragm never developed, causing all his abdominal organs to grow into his left chest cavity, push his heart and stomach to the right side, wrap his right lung around his back and crush his left lung to the size of a raisin.
48 hours after birth, Trent underwent his first surgery to construct a diaphragm out of Gortex and place all the abdominal organs back in the abdomen. But that was the easy part. The next two years would be filled with hospitalizations, life-threatening complications, mechanical ventilators, oxygen, feeding ports, countless sleepless nights, ambulance rides and more surgeries.
The night before Trent was born, I was in a Bible study with a friend. During that study, Psalm 18:30 seemed to leap off the page: "As for God, His way is perfect;The word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him." Little did I know how much I would have to trust Him and His way.

This is how I spent the first two months of Trent's life - camping at the NICU, holding a baby so wrapped in tubes that neither of us could move. With each complication, each new low, God kept reminding me: My way is perfect. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." I cannot say that I was never anxious. I was. But I can say that I have never known a peace like I did then. It was a supernatural peace that words cannot describe.
God did not take us out of the trial. He held our hand, and led us through. He was faithful, even when I doubted.
The song writer, Don Moen, penned this song. I clung to it through those dark days. Even today I cannot sing it without tears running down my cheeks. And on Trent's birthday, my soul sings it as a sweet offering of praise to Him alone.
God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me.
He will be my guide.
Hold me closely to His side.
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way.
God will make a way
Happy 10th Birthday Trent. You are a miracle. God has a purpose for you and He will use you in ways we can only dream about. I love you. XOXO, Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Wow Dawn, Praise the Lord!
    I have never heard that whole story. God is so good!
    I certainly not the poster child for life's trials, but I love Ps. 18:30-32...and that song....I remember singing on the way to the hospital when my grandpa was dying....
    He is good. Great Post!
    Happy Birthday, Trent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears...
    God has been so gracious in Trent's life. I still can't imagine what you went through those early days/weeks/months/years with Trent.

    Happy Birthday Trent... may you never forget God's goodness in your life. We love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete