Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Welcome to Our Hearts and Home, Stanley

This summer we visited the Henry Doorley Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska. The favorite exhibit, by far, was the "Budgie Experience" - an outdoor aviary filled with Parakeets. The kids fell in love.

For the remainder of the summer we discussed the possibility of a parakeet. We read, we priced birds and cages, and we talked about it. Finally I got a recommendation from a friend for a pet store nearby that hand-raises their birds. So, we went to look. Of course, whenever you take your three kids to "just look" you know there is a very real possibility that you are coming home with an animal!

The store only had two birds ready to go home. The other four were still too tiny. The little green and yellow, "spirited" bird caught our eye. It was love at first sight!
Stanley adjusted very quickly to our family. He had already been trained to perch on our fingers. We are still working on getting him to let us "pet" him, he's doing better everyday. I have also trained him to sit on my shoulder so I can have him with me while I do dishes or housework. We have been repeating phrases over and over again in the hopes that someday he will "talk".

Stanley was 7 weeks old when we brought him home. Why "Stanley", you ask? I don't know...that's just what the kids came up with! We still aren't certain if he is a boy or girl, but the name "Stanley" will stay regardless! I dearly hope he is a boy as the males are supposed to be better talkers.


He reminds me of my "Skipper" I had when I was a girl. I loved Skipper so much and I hope my children find the same joy and affection from Stanley.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the family Stanley!

    Dawn, I love the picture of you as a little girl with your bird.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete